-->

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Random notes

  • Yesterday while in line at the grocery, an older gentleman behind me made an unsolicited remark,

    "Awful warm out. Can you believe it?"

    "Yeah... I guess," I grunted before answering, "But I'll bet if we were to have a day like this back in August, we'd be telling each other how cool it is outside."

    He thought about this for a second but pressed on to what I suppose was his point in the first place.

    "Seems like you never know what the weather's gonna do anymore. Seems like nowadays it can be hot any time. It seems that's what happens when they go messing with the Earth the way they do."

    I braced myself for a folksy global warming lecture... but was pleasantly surprised by the finish.

    "You notice, ever since they started going up into space and all that. When they started intruding on God's territory, things start to get out of hand."

    I smiled, "I didn't know they could get that high."


  • I have discovered that there is no such thing as a sandwich that cannot be markedly improved by frying it in butter.


  • More food news. I made a kick-ass chicken and sausage sauce piquant this weekend. It's a good candidate for a recipe post in the future.


  • Friday night, we were doing our regular thing sitting out on the sidewalk in our folding chairs drinking a little, reading a little, bullshitting with the neighbors a little, when a small and half-naked man came walking up out of the neighborhood. He was about 5'6, wearing one sandal, a pair of red shorts, and nothing else. Oh and he was also pretty much covered in blood.

    He stopped and looked at us for a second. There was a gash in his forehead as though he had received a blow from a bat or perhaps fallen hard against the pavement. He asked us in broken English for a cigarette. We didn't have any. He smiled and continued running on down Third Street toward Magazine.

    Menckles looked at me and asked, "Now if the cops come by and ask..."

    I jumped in before she could finish the question "I didn't see a thing."


  • Yesterday while wandering around the Quarter, I noticed this sign.



    Surprised? I was.

No comments: