-->

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

How now, Joe Cao

I noticed former Accidental Congressman Cao on TV slinking around David Vitter's after party on Primary Night this year.  Figured he was angling for some kind of job or favor.  Didn't think he wanted to be a Senator, though.
In his email, Cao said a growing GOP field would work to his advantage, although he doesn't explain why. Reps. Charles Boustany, R-Lafayette, and John Fleming, R-Minden, have announced bids for Vitter's seat, as has retired Air Force Col. Rob Maness. Treasurer John Kennedy and public service commissioner Scott Angelle are also considering runs.

But it is New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, a Democrat, whose decision not to run appeared to most invigorate Cao.

"This will work to my advantage as the votes in New Orleans, the district that I represented, will gravitate towards me, as well as the votes of independents, center-right Republicans and center-left Democrats," Cao wrote. "In a race this big and this important, it will boil down to money, and I ask that you all help me raise the money that I need to win this race."
He's dreaming.  Those of you who remember Cao's congressional career might not be surprised. He's a bit of a flake. 
Cao estimated he needs $2 million to make it to the primary.
Ha ha.. Okay he's crazy.

Anyway since Cao mentions Mitch Landrieu's decision to sit out the Senate race, I thought I'd mention a strange bit of news I heard today.  Seems there's a telephone poll going around gauging how people might feel about a charter change allowing Mitch to run for a third term.  I realize it's almost a tradition now for successful two term mayors to test the waters here. Both Morials tried it and failed. But it surprises me to hear Mitch might be thinking about it.  Does anyone know anything more about this?

No comments: