-->

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Ghost Town

Last week the library implemented a new policy requiring patrons to present their library cards for access to the public computers. I was dubious about this policy for a couple of reasons.
First, I see this as an unnecessary impediment to the public's right to access information available on site. Until now, library cards were circulation tools. They enable a library to keep track of those materials which we allow to be removed from the building. No one is required to present a card in order to access any other on site reference material. Why are the computers any different?
Second, our patrons are particularly.. um.. cavalier about bringing their library cards with them to the public library. Three out of every four patrons at the circ desk do not use their cards to check out books. Usually, if someone presents a drivers license, we can find him or her in the patron databse by name. Because we can do this, most of our patrons find it rather superfluous to carry a pointless plastic card with them on every visit. In principle, I agree with these people. At the same time, I'm the sort of person who comes prepared anyway. I would bring my card. But unlike the rest of the entire staff here, I don't look down my nose at the folks who leave their cards at home. I just don't share my co-workers' irrational need to police.
One week into the new system, one thing jumps out at me. The tech lab, once the center of all activity in the library, is now practically deserted for most of the day. Our throngs of regular patrons seem to have chosen to cease using the computers altogether rather than bring their cards to the library. In a way, it is a beautiful act of protest against our absurd Kafkaesque bureaucracy. On the other hand, what's really happened is the library has frightened the public away from access to information. This is a failure of the library's primary institutional mission. It is also a shame.

Update: Similar problems elsewhere

No comments: