-->

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Today's Carnival Update

First the bad news. Last night there was a shooting about five blocks down the street from where D and I were standing. This is saddening, especially because I agree with Ricky in that Mardi Gras parades in New Orleans are usually safe and family-friendly events. I know this is difficult for out of towners to understand, but it's true. I've been doing this since I was small enough to sit in a ladder myself. Every parade crowd I've experienced has been beyond civil. It's always a mix of races and ages and everyone gets along fine. We're all just out to have a good time. It says something very special about the people of this city that we can do this year after year with so few incidents especially in light of the fact that so many other cities have tried and can't seem to get it right. It's unfortunate that a few idiots have to ruin this for us. This incident will undoubtedly make headlines across the country which will in turn reinforce the image of New Orleans as a dangerous place.

Ok now the good news. This week's Gambit has lots of fun Carnival stuff including this story about drum majors. Here is another excellent Gambit feature from '02 on Flambeau carriers.

Last night: Things are starting to pick up. Krewe of Saturn had some elaborately decorated floats. They are known for their political satire, although it is of a rather non-leftist variety. The most annoying unit in their procession was a float carrying the families of soldiers in Iraq. I, of course, am all for supporting these people and honoring their sacrifice but did the float have to feature a large heroic bust of AWOL Bush? If I were in the place of the family members on this float I would have been insulted.
Of course, what we all came to see last night was the Krewe of Muses. By far the best bunch of the season to this point. Great marching bands, the first fiber-optic lights of the year, unicyclists, people on stilts, random brass bands, and the first appearance this year of the girl punk pop band Pink Slip. Things I caught: (mostly after Daisy wusssed out and went home early) Krewe emblem medallion beads from each parade, a string of "shoe beads, " three Muses cups, some beads with lips on them, some teddy-bear beads, and a shoe key ring.

Tonight: I will unfortunately miss the Knights of Babylon and the Krewe of Chaos so that I may fail a quiz I haven't studied for. Oh well, I'm off this weekend. T'will be a good time.

No comments: