-->

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Today's Carnival Topic

Ladders Let's see. I think the ladder people's pre-parade conversation goes something like this: "Well gee, Margaret, instead of giving little bobby some space to explore and enjoy the parade atmosphere tonight shouldn't we just strap him into a wooden box atop a tall wooden rickety apparatus that may or may not remain upright should the throng of drunken revelers suddenly surge this way or that. That way we can drink all we want without paying any attention to where he might be. If there's a problem, we'll know it by the sound of his splitting skull against the pavement. Besides, what better way to impair the enjoyment and obstruct the view of those around us who dare to come out to a carnival parade under the mistaken assumption that these streets and sidewalks and neutral grounds (medians, non-N.O. people) are actually common public property. This way we can remind them that these streets belong to us drunken yuppies and our offspring. That sounds like a boffo idea to me."

Tonight: Krewe of Ancient Druids (pretty floats but stingy with the throws) followed by Krewe of Morpheus (some of the same floats that Pygmalion used on Monday... but it didn't matter 'cause we were already drunk by then.) Caught a few beads and one cup. It's 9:30 and Daisy has already passed out.

I'm watching the Wisconsin returns. Maybe when I'm sober I'll write more about how Democratic voters have been hoodwinked by the "electibillity" issue. Short version: Bush sucks.. I mean he really really sucks and needs to go. And that fact alone may be enough to defeat him but something tells me that this won't be enough. Worse, Kerry is the candidate most likely to lose to Bush in a major landslide and Democrats have been voting for him purely out of fear of losing in a landslide.. I hope I'm wrong about that but it looks bad bad bad. In December, William Safire of all people raised the spectre of Bush with an actual mandate and what that might mean. I don't even want to think about it.
In fact, screw this I won't think about it. I'm going back to Mardi Gras.

No comments: