-->

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Busy man

Cedric Grant could have his hands on a lot of money spigots over the next year or so.
Should it pass, Grant will be in charge of not only major improvements to the city's sewerage and water systems, but also an estimated $9 billion in repairs to its notoriously pockmarked streets.

That means for the first time in recent memory, the persistent problems that most often rankle New Orleanians -- from broken streetlights and potholes to flooded roads and poor water pressure -- could fall to one man.

It was the only way he would take the job, Grant said Tuesday in a wide-ranging interview from his office at the water board's St. Joseph Street headquarters.
Optimistically, this might be like having a more competent Ed Blakely around.

On the other hand, it's still kind of like having Ed Blakely around.
"I was coming over here to do this. If they didn't want this done, I'm not the one (for the job)," he said. "I've been in infrastructure my entire career and I've seen it all, and this is what needs to be done to make this city work."
See what I mean?

No comments: