-->

Saturday, January 19, 2013

"I wouldn't like that"

Not all of us are old enough to remember the full weirdness of the "Chocolate City" speech, I guess. But those of us who did experience it will recall that the mayor began by relating to the audience an imaginary conversation he had with Martin Luther King Jr.  No, Dr. King was not represented on stage by an empty chair or a fake girlfriend's Twitter account or anything, but that didn't make it any less strange.
Now, I'm supposed to give some remarks this morning and talk about the great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. You know when I woke up early this morning, and I was reflecting upon what I could say that could be meaningful for this grand occasion. And then I decided to talk directly to Dr. King.

Now you might think that's one Katrina post-stress disorder. But I was talking to him and I just wanted to know what would he think if he looked down today at this celebration. What would he think about Katrina? What would he think about all the people who were stuck in the Superdome and Convention Center and we couldn't get the state and the federal government to come do something about it? And he said, "I wouldn't like that."
 This afternoon, Nagin is apparently still communicating with Dr. King across the great beyond.




If we could ask Dr. King what he thought about his words on social justice being invoked to justify petty white collar crimes by politicians, I'm guessing he might say something along the lines of "I wouldn't like that"

No comments: