-->

Friday, January 30, 2004

Sharpton Highlights in S.C. Debate

Well, first of all, I think this is beyond politics. This is about the direction of the party. I fully expect to win primaries in the coming weeks. But I'm going to win because I'm speaking the issues and interests of people that have been ignoring. It's almost contradictory to say, "If you don't win, get out." Did you come in to win, or did you come in to stand up for something -- and make that win? And I think that that's what's wrong. We have become too cheap. We act like we're at a race track betting on horses, rather than dealing with the fact that 75,000 lost their jobs in South Carolina.

later

And, you know, it's absurd to me for people to come and look at the people in South Carolina in the face and say, "It's an honor for your sons and daughters to go abroad and die for others. But it is a burden for rich people to pay their tax at home." I mean, you can't have it both ways. Either all of us...(APPLAUSE) ... should be honored to sacrifice or none of us should. In terms of jobs, I want to address that. We need to create jobs. Not only do we need to rescind NAFTA -- and I think we must rescind it. You can't correct it. It has cost jobs. It has sent jobs from this state to Asia and other places. This president has increased the deficit, has not increased jobs and is embracing the rich at the expense of working class and poor people. And it's double in communities of color. Black unemployment in this state is double. We face class and race. I don't think we can tolerate that four more years.

Mr. Kerry, this is potentially the most important election of our lifetime. And if we're going to be stuck with your bony ass, I sure hope you're taking notes from Rev. Al. This election will only be won by a candidate who is willing to challenge Bush for being the liar, thief, and shameful representative of the republic that he has indeed been. Maybe you've got it in you, but so far I haven't seen it.

transcript

No comments: