-->

Monday, January 26, 2004

Today's Wacky Reference Interview

Somewhat Bewildered Patron unfortunately With Two Young Children In Tow: Umm I'm looking for a book by.... this person..... I can't remember his name right now.... it's ummm... wait a minute... (long pause accentuated by blank stare).. he wrote literature.

Me: Um, you're going to have to be a little more specific

Patron: Well do you have.... it was in the eighteen hundreds.... eighteen..... eighteenth century..... do you know anything about that?

Me (losing hope quickly): Was there a name you are trying to remember?

Patron: Yes..... but I forgot it... do you know any literature?... I'm thinking..... where do you keep the literature..... tell me some people who wrote literature

Me: (trying not to smile or cry then figuring a way out of this) We have some survey textbooks in English and American Lit. Let me show where those are and maybe you can...

Patron: I know I know. Who was that guy before Einstein? (puzzled look from me, patron continues) That guy that kept to himself a lot and people thought he was a homosexual. He came like seven years after Einstein. (tense moment... patron points to the shelf behind me and exclaims) That's a GED book? I can have that?

Me: Ummm sure why don't you....

Patron: (runs to the indicated shelf, fingers a GED book, then begins pulling various reference books and asking about them including Notable Mathematicians) Who is this person.. does that say Gordon?

Me: It says Gregory

Patron: (Brandishing The Bible Throughout History) Where are your books like this?

Patron was referred to 200's and did not return.
Whew!

No comments: