-->

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Here we go

Howard Kurtz this morning does a good job of summing up the way the press has been piling on Dean this week. I've had my doubts about Dean all along (too moderate/conservative on the things that really count such as trade and health care) but I should say here that this tips things back in his favor for me at least. If this many self-satisfied, snippy SCLM reporters hate him this much, I figure this must be my candidate. It's funny to me that anyone would find this treatment by the press surprising. They've been waiting for an opportuity to jump on him for some time now. He needs to find a way to combat this. Gore had the same problem and tried to ignore it. Dean.... well I don't know if he's ... um... graceful enough to handle it. We'll see.

Update: The night of the Iowa caucus, I received a despondent e-mail from Dad who is deathly afraid that the Dems will nominate a wishy washy candidate (read Kerry) who is too timid to take on the facsists for being exactly that. I responded optimistically by pointing out that 1) it is still early and 2) this is an excellent opportunity for us to see the first split convention in years and how much fun would that be?

Today Dad writes back:
If a split convention is "Hillary" fun, its not fun. But, wow, the notion of a split convention is one even I'm not ready to seriously entertain, and you know I like entertainment. I will happily change my outlook on that proposition, however, if Dean can squeak it out in New Hamshire. You can see, and have said, the establishment has all but buried the doctor. So, I dunno. But I have to say I'm not sanguine. Ralph, or whoever - maybe Dean as independent - where are you?!!!

And you know, "Hillary fun" would be very bad news indeed... but it does seem like a real possibility to me.

No comments: