-->

Friday, January 02, 2004

Hey you out there. You're looking well.

I'm finding that I'm not quite done with the holidays. I've got a few days left before I have to start thinking about stuff again and I figure I'll just sit back and soak up the bliss. In other words, I haven't felt like writing much lately and that probably isn't going to change for a few days.

There is this one thing though. I cannot express in words my staggering disappointment with the whole mad cow situation. The very day before the news broke, I had acquired from my mother a wonderful way to make roast beef po-boys. You know, the good kind we have down here with all the thick hot gravy that reacts so well when exposed to mayonnaise that it creates the most perfect heart valve balm yet devised by man. Yeah well so now I can't have any.

What's worse is now I don't even think that this is a temporary situation. I had already begun to wonder how long it would take for me to slowly lie myself into believing it was safe enough to eat cows again when I read this:

All is not right at the IBP Inc. plant in Pasco, Washington, one of the nation's biggest slaughterhouses. According to workers, meat at the plant is routinely contaminated with cattle feces because workers on the processing line are not give enough time to wash their hands. Under pressure from aggressive plant managers, meat that falls on the floor, which is often littered with meat byproducts and entrails, is often immediately placed back on the line without being cleansed. Cutting tools and conveyor belts, workers tell CounterPunch, are also regularly coated with pus from abscesses and tumors that haven't been properly cut out of the meat. Meat cutters at the plant also told me that often cows are not rendered unconscious before being sent down the line. Instead, workers say they often hear cows frantically mooing as they are skinned and dismembered alive.

(shudder) Look I'm still not willing to go veggie, unlike some people, but for now I guess it will just have to be gravy and mayonnaise on french for me for a while.

No comments: