-->

Monday, January 05, 2004

Of Almanacs and Sugar Bowls

First, a bit of catharsis. I've begun displaying our almanacs next to a copy of this story, which I could barely pick my jaw up off the floor long enough to comment on last week. Of course it's really hard to keep up as the actions of the US government seem more and more to resemble the action in a Marx Brothers film. For example, it appears that now I am obligated to display our US travel guides next to this. I might throw this book in with them for good measure.

On a related note, I really feel like I should be celebrating the glorious triumph of the National Champions of College Football but this mood is tapered by the strange image of the Quarter during Sugar Bowl weekend. Never in my life have I seen so many cops. There were more cops than one would expect to find in... a big box of cops. All genres of cop as well, up to and including national guardsman.. armed and in uniform (camouflage fatigues presumably to make them less visible to the enemy among the sea of neon and beads and pink feather boas on Bourbon Street.) I expressed my dismay at their presence to Consuela who had this to say, "Yeah well I think they're really hot." Also I would recommend the following to the Louisiana State Troopers should they need advice when time comes to pick out new uniforms: Go with something with more of a slimming effect. Really, you look like a bunch of Weebles out there. And the wide brimmed hats just help to emphasize the ellipse of your waistline. Not a good look.

Really I'm beginning to wonder how many more holiday seasons or special events will be tinged with this kind of paranoia. Maybe Bin-Laden does hate the symbol of American hypocrisy that is the BCS. But even then, how is a terrorist attack on the Sugar Bowl thwarted by dispatching the National Guard to Rick's Cabaret? Besides, we seem to have made it ok through these numerous higher profile events without declaring a state of emergency and I don't feel any worse for wear (well maybe worse for wear.. but due mainly to the booze but you get the idea.) Anyway, let's hope that this is the worst of it, because I plan to really let loose next year when the Tigers repeat.

Update: Obviously, New Orleans isn't the only city under martial law for the holidays. Strange that all this still couldn't help Ray Davies.

No comments: