-->

Saturday, March 28, 2015

CDO of mock drafts

The NFL Draft is a little over a month away.  Already, though, our nation's sports publications have put it through more simulations than an Apollo mission. Unfortunately, since each "mock draft" exists as its own independent fantasy for click-bait purposes only, the near perpetual experiment contributes nothing to science.

Until now.
I’m not sure if you’re aware, but we’re already knee deep into 2015 Mock Draft Season. Now, I’m not going to lie to you, I used to hate mock drafts. I just couldn’t see the point of the constant iteration.

But then I realized that for every mock draft, we had a data point. And I love data. So I decided to track the mock drafts in a data viz for the next month. So keep checking back in as I update the mocks as they roll in and I refine the process.
At that link, you can see B&G Review's slick aggregation of .. apparently every mock draft they are aware of.. into one graphic. Will this eventually tell us a thing of value?  Right now, it looks like the Saints are mock zeroed in on three potential picks at number 13.  The fact that the names Shane Ray, Trae Waynes, and Bud Dupree taken together sound like a traveling bluegrass revue at least tells us there's some trend in the data.

On the other hand, if we learned anything from the 2008 financial crisis, it's that compiling and combining crap into a tradeable commodity is still just finding a new way to sell crap.  So maybe let's wait a while before we buy.

No comments: