-->

Saturday, February 26, 2011

More Carnival advice

Please pay in advance

This helpful hint was posted on the wall of a food truck parked along the route during Oshun last night. I liked the sign although I thought its goal would have been served well had the prices been listed on the menu.

Mr. Tasty's

Ros had the pork chop. It came on a hamburger bun. Apparently it was good. I didn't try it. Like I said yesterday, I'm not going too crazy with the Carnival food during the early going. Sticking to basics for now.

Crawfish and beer

Also sticking to basics, as usual, was the modest Krewe of Oshun. If, as the axiom goes, Mardi Gras is a marathon, not a sprint, Oshun is kind of like a light Segway tour on the way to where the marathon starts. Everything is very very basic. I think I counted four marching bands... maybe five. I'm sure I saw St. Mary's, Xavier Prep, West Jeff, Roots of Music, and probably one more but I'm having trouble remembering who. Most of the floats are small "Maid and Duke" type arrangements carrying Krewe officers and children like this one.

One of the many Oshun maids mini floats

The three or four themed floats, in keeping with the early parade mode of widely accessible pop culture reference, were based on Broadway shows. This one represented The Color Purple

Color Purple float

As far as the parade itself goes, that's all there is to tell. Oshun is short and simple and barely throws anything. Here's our total catch from the night.

Haul from Oshun

Some people like to complain about that but I don't. On the first night, I'm usually just looking to have a few beers and stand around re-acclimating myself to the sights and sounds like the omni-present Sportscenter theme interpreted by this (and every other) marching band.



Sorry about the dim light. I can't remember who I was filming. Also listen for a few seconds after they finish. The drum cadence is quintessential Mardi Gras to me.

All told, Oshun is an appropriate starter event considering what's to follow. And what's to follow is going to be an extraordinarily busy parade season if last night's crowd is any indication.

Oshun crowd

I've never seen that many people out for Oshun. One of the effects of the warm weather, perhaps. I know the mosquitoes (another effect of the warm weather) had a feast. This morning, I drove Menckles to work and already there are the beginnings of a larger crowd assembling on St. Charles which I think I'll go add myself to in a little while or just as soon as the camera charged anyway... in case I start doing any "drinking to forget".

No comments: