-->

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Missing the point

I haven't seen these videos. But according to the description, they're probably sophomoric at best and homophobic and/or sexist at worst.
The videos, which include scenes of simulated masturbation, simulated eating of feces and two men as well as two women showering together, were made by Captain Honors and shown as entertainment to some 6,000 sailors and Marines aboard the Enterprise in 2006 and 2007. The videos, which also include slurs against gay men, were disclosed over the weekend by a Norfolk newspaper, The Virginian-Pilot.
I can see how that might be bad. On the other hand, I really like South Park so I'm reserving judgment until I get to watch them. Ok actually I don't think I want to see them. But look. Unless it turns out that there are Iraqi POWs being tortured or humiliated, we're going to have to consider this progress.

No comments: