-->

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Five second book review

Freedom: Jonathan Franzen

Well I did it. I sat through this whole fucking glorified episode of Thirtysomething. Kept waiting for a reason to care about any of these blandly stupid and selfish characters, or for any of them to be.. not likable.. but at least unlikable in an interesting fashion. I could forgive Franzen if I thought he were telling us our lives are full of stupid bland selfishness but that's not what he's saying. He's saying the stupid bland selfishness of these people is important in some way.

The whole damn world told me there was something important contained somewhere in this book but all it did was piss me off. If there's a difference between what Franzen does and what Nicholas Sparks or Mitch Albom does, I'd love to see someone explain that to me. Shit like this is exactly why I'm so reluctant to read new fiction anymore.

No comments: