-->

Monday, December 14, 2009

Trees We Hate (#5 In a series)

This morning, on my way to pick up my customary overpriced coffee, I parked the Tercel under my favorite (and everyone else's least favorite) Chinese tallow tree on Prytania street. The tree, which in late spring develops this gorgeous golden waterfall look,

DSCN5214


has by this time of year begun to shed its foliage producing this gold leaf effect all over the ground and everything else within range.

Tallow tree leaves


One of the items within range was the car parked directly in front of me whose owner was engaged in a largely futile battle to clear the leaves off of the roof and hood. The heavy humid air had given the leaves an adhesive quality and they now clung to the car giving it a ruffly golden outer covering. It looked like a miniature Rose Bowl float.

While I would have been pleased as hell to drive around in a spontaneously created art car for the day, the woman who had been given this opportunity was not so excited. She wore an angry expression as she tried rather absurdly to wipe away the sticky leaves with her sleeve while simultaneously trying to keep them from sticking to her. She wanted them off the car but wasn't sure if she wanted to touch too many of them in order to accomplish this. I wanted a photo of the car, but I would have felt like a bit of dick if I had just walked up and snap-captured this poor woman's moment of distress. So I just got the one of the ground you see above.

When I came out of the coffee shop, I saw the car drive off with a little patch of fuzzy gold still affixed to the roof. Red car got a golden crown, I guess. Anyway, I don't suppose the driver was satisfied with that result. Yet another reason (some)people hate this tree, I guess.

Previous episodes of Trees We Hate: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

No comments: