-->

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Oh Boy

Ed Blakely's recovery plan: Hog all the money through force of ego.

New Orleans recovery czar Ed Blakely strode into the State Capitol with a bold message for the Louisiana Recovery Authority: He's got a plan to bring the city back and he wants the power to make it happen.

In an interview after the hearing, Blakely said he cannot imagine why he wouldn't get control of any recovery money coming into New Orleans; he "had it in every other city" where he's spearheaded recovery efforts.

Then he threw down the gauntlet.

"If I don't have it, I go home -- I quit," said Blakely, who hours before in New Orleans joined Mayor Ray Nagin to unveil the staff chosen to operate the city's newly created Office of Recovery Management.
Really? Is this what we're in for now? Recovery management via temper tantrum? This article seems to repeat the "everyone is impressed with Blakely" theme over and over. Something tells me that's about to change if he continues to exhibit this behavior. I mean.. just... ugh!

"There are only about six people in the world who have done this, and I'm one of them," he said during his presentation. At another point: "All the dollars should come to my office and be parceled out to the right buckets."

And later: "I want to be your accountability structure."


Does it get any closer to L'etat est moi? Whose buckets has he gotten the money he's managed so far into anyway? Impressed yet?

I'm still keeping an open mind until I see what he actually wants to do. He made some impressive.. although possibly empty flattering.. statements about building economic infrastructure before "green space". But the egotism the man has exhibited since day one is certainly.. something to be wary of.

No comments: