-->

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

And once again, my ass is saved!

Prior to last Monday's Saints-Falcons game, I was goaded into a rather foolish bet with one Ashley Morris. Ashley is one of those Saints fans who insist that my honest criticism of the team amounts to some kind of unpatriotic opposition to their success. It's not the only circumstance under which I have to suffer these "my team right or wrong" types.. but I choose to draw inspiration from St. Buddy and as such remain undeterred.

The terms of this bet were simple. Saints win, and I have to say something nice about Chris Rose. I don't have to tell you that I've not slept well for over a week now due to the difficulty of this task. But suddenly, today, fate haS intervened on my behalf. Rose.. apparently drugged... has written a whole bunch of stuff I can actually agree with about the stupid (and clumsily racially pointed) criticism that the nation has belched forth at New Orleans for daring to try rebuilding a significant piece of the city's heritage. Here's Rose:
Why are we having this discussion still? Why are people from other places spending so much effort to tell us that, as a community, we are wrong, misguided, amoral and racist? Why are they making things up?

I mean, I can't really fathom how to craft a sensible response to a black man from Omaha who was offended by the appearance of U2. I mean, is this really an issue?

No African-Americans on the Saints roster or in Southern University's band or in the attendant media or Dome employees or security staffs or Irma Thomas or Allen Toussaint or the first responders who were honored or African-American season-ticket holders chose to boycott the game and maybe that's because they don't get it.

If there weren't thousands and thousands of black folks in the seats Monday night, then I am blind. And it might be worth noting -- just because I'm feeling ornery -- that when you incorporate surrounding parishes and trace a map from southern Mississippi up through central Louisiana, the demographic makeup of the Saints potential fan base is not an African-American majority.

In fact, it's not even close -- but acknowledging this would weaken the demagogic arguments of outsiders who keep hammering home just what a cesspool of humanity we've turned out to be here in south Louisiana. Human dreck. Unworthy.

Thank you, Chris Rose. You rock.

No comments: