-->

Monday, October 23, 2006

Mission Accomplished

In another supposedly "safe Democratic" Senate race I'm not so sure of, Maryland Lt Gov Michael Steele made a startling announcement last week regarding the war in Iraq. Turns out, we've won.
While acknowledging there have been mistakes and poor decisions made, Steele said if the American military doesn't finish the job, American enemies would.

"We have won the war, how do we now win the peace?" he commented.


Steele is what Republicans like to call an "up and comer" in the party because, you see, he's black... oh and he likes puppies.

He's also running a Naginesque campaign of sneaky misinformation, appeal to race as an overriding electoral factor, unlikely statements such as the one above, and of course Don King.

I'm watching this race for a few reasons. First, I have this pet theory that quirky Louisiana politics is often a better predictor of national trends than most people acknowledge. Second, Maryland Democrats could have avoided this by nominating Kweisi Mfume instead of the more milquetoasty Ben Cardin. Third, I think Steele is going to win... and I thought I'd get out in front of it now while I'm so close to cornering the market on unconventional predictions.

More: Some "unity" movement. Sounds more like a knife fight.

No comments: