-->

Friday, August 11, 2006

A good reason to steal HBO

I have a feeling Spike Lee's Katrina film is going to be really really good.... despite the NYT reviewer's unfortunate descent into cliche. Regardless of your opinion of Spike, try to keep an open mind about this film. My impression is that he really gets it.
Lee interviewed more than 100 local newsmakers and citizens for the project, and he said he learned something about us from them.

"What I was really amazed by was the spirit of the people of New Orleans," he said, during a recent meeting with TV critics in Los Angeles. "We know that there are people that aren't coming back, but the majority of them are going to stick it out. And we interviewed so many people who said, 'I was born here. I'm going to die here.' And they mean that.

"Another thing I found amazing was the humor. Even though all the stuff they'd gone through, there were still many times where the stuff they were saying had the crew dying laughing. I know it might seem like it's gallows humor, but just the spirit of the people -- I think that's what makes New Orleans the most unique city in America.

"And that's tough for me to say, being from New York. But I got to give it up. New Orleans does hold that distinction. And you see it in the people."
I could be wrong. It might suck. I don't think I'm wrong though.

No comments: