-->

Monday, July 23, 2018

The stupid season

We are in it now.
Can't cool off this summer? Heat waves can slow us down in ways we may not realize.

New research suggests heat stress can muddle our thinking, making simple math a little harder to do.

"There's evidence that our brains are susceptible to temperature abnormalities," says Joe Allen, co-director of the Center for Climate, Health and the Global Environment at Harvard University. And as the climate changes, temperatures spike and heat waves are more frequent.
It must be affecting me already because even though I can see on the chart that we're basically halfway through the worst of it, I, you, and everyone know in our guts if not in our brains that September is going to suck.



The math says it's supposed to start getting cooler then but it will not.  It never does. It just makes you hate the hot even more once it has overstayed itself. 

Anyway, I started typing this thinking I would share some good news about how the worst will be over soon and I've already almost forgotten that was the point. See what I mean about stupid season?  Also, hey remember that it snowed this year?  The palm trees still aren't all the way back from that, even.  I spotted these green tops on Saturday.

Palm trees

No comments: