-->

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dave Duerson's brain arrives at the lab

Smushed Brain

Okay not really. That's actually a chocolate marshmallow brain we fed to the kids attending today's brain exhibit at the library graciously provided by the Greater New Orleans chapter of the Society for Neuroscience. In reality, retired football players' brains are in far worse shape than this.

Anyway, I'm about to finish my lunch coffee and reluctantly spend the rest of this lovely spring afternoon brain-sitting and thinking the various events I could have attended otherwise. There's the NOLA Road Food Festival where every year, it seems, I happen to miss the creation of the "world's largest oyster po-boy". Also a few minutes ago, Rosalind called me while she was on her way to City Park for Hogs For the Cause but was having trouble finding it. ("I'm about to start sniffing the air for cooking pigs.")

But where I really wanted to be today was the Tennessee Williams Festival where Fletcher Mackel, Ellis Hennican, and Jeff Duncan took questions about the Saints and writing about football. From the Gambit account of the panel:
The Saints flirtation with San Antonio after Hurricane Katrina was the next topic, and Duncan said that he still ran into roadblocks when trying to write about it four years later: "The NFL is a powerful Goliath, and people are still scared to discuss what went on there." He added, "One version of the story is the Saints version," and called it "revisionist history. I certainly think the Saints are trying to burnish the legacy of Tom Benson."

"It's OK," Henican told him. "He can't fire you."

"Well, he thinks he can," said Duncan.


I wish I had been there. I really would have liked to ask or at least hear more about the Saints' strongarming of the local media in recent years. As an outside observer I've been nothing short of disgusted.

Meanwhile, regarding the "revisionist history" of Tom Benson's flirtation with San Antonio, now would be a good time to review this YHRT post.

No comments: