-->

Monday, June 19, 2006

Martial Law

Sorry.. really going.. had to say this though

Blanco calls weekend murders 'shocking,' urges Nagin to enforce a juvenile curfew
The following is a statement released by Governor Blanco responding to this past weekend's murder of five teenagers in Central City.

“The senseless slaying of five teenagers this weekend is shocking. Things like this should never happen and I am going to do all I can to stop it.

“The situation is urgent and we will accelerate our plans to deploy law enforcement to the city tomorrow. Right now we are talking with Chief Riley about his exact needs and we will respond with personnel from the State Police and National Guard. We had begun putting plans in motion to assist the New Orleans police force last week.

“I will not tolerate criminal behavior. We must protect our citizens. Having more law enforcement patrolling the streets is a direct deterrent to the criminal element. Criminals are not welcome in New Orleans or anywhere else in this state.

“I spoke with Councilman Oliver Thomas early this morning and I told him that I am in full support of the New Orleans City Police officers and will work to stop this escalating criminal activity. This afternoon I briefed the mayor on our plans to support the city with law enforcement efforts.

“I have two warnings: First, to parents, keep your teenagers off the streets and out of trouble. Second, to judges, I am urging you to keep hardened criminals where they belong—in jail and off the streets. We must protect our citizens.

“I also urge the mayor to put a juvenile curfew in place.”


Something in me says that this has more to do with discouraging future protest marches on St. Charles Ave... but that's just crazy me talking.

No comments: