-->

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Fun with bureaucracy

Dangerblond has been trying to purchase some adjudicated property from the city. Quite an exciting process.
Finding the guidelines on the city’s website took me a whole morning. I had to register as a “vendor” to the city, giving them my social security number, just to get the guidelines. But, when you download the guidelines after finally finding them, it tells you on the first page exactly where to go to get . . . the guidelines. I need to tie a rope around my waist because I am totally entering Kafkaland. Of course, I picked up a copy of the guidelines at their office in the Amoco Building, but the copies were bad on several crucial pages. So just skip that step and go to the City of New Orleans website. Then click on the Purchasing Portal. Then you have to register as a vendor, even though you are wanting to buy something from them, not sell them something. Whatever. It makes as much sense as anything going on in this town, like those psychedelic blinking traffic lights. Still don’t have the traffic lights fixed, Ray.
I also gather from following her experience that the city is seeking only to deal with development companies and not individual buyers. This strikes me as a bit unfair.. not to mention hostile to people who lost homes during the storm although I could be wrong about that.

No comments: