-->

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The dominant industry

In perhaps his most unintentionally astute act of introspection Ray Nagin once told us this,

"Politics in New Orleans is the dominant industry, so I decided to get in," he said. "Besides tourism, politics dominates everything. I just think it's part of our legacy and our history. Politics is definitely a sport and something that the citizens pay attention to."


I enjoy this quote for numerous reasons. Nagin, in fact, is quite right that by the time he got into politics, that and tourism were just about the only two rackets industries left by which an ambitious person could enrich himself. And so Ray Nagin went into politics.

I also like that Nagin describes politics in New Orleans as "a sport and something that the citizens pay attention to" although I suspect that is less so in recent years. Anyway as someone who follows both politics and sports in New Orleans this Nagin quote, though not terribly original, is very dear to me. And so that is why I fully endorse this candidacy.

Enter comedian Chris Trew of the New Movement. Trew, a NOLA native and lifelong Hornets fan, is running for owner of the team. His primary weapon is a series of viral videos causing a stir on YouTube.

Says Trew, "I have a strong feeling that (NBA Commissioner) David Stern watches these videos. I have a stronger feeling that I could great things for this team and this city. I have the strongest feeling that I am the man who will one day become owner of the New Orleans Hornets (I just need someone to spot me $350 million)."


I'm not so sure about that "lifelong Hornets fan" bit. It's difficult to tell how old Trew is but the Hornets only arrived in New Orleans in 2003 and I'm guessing this dude has been around longer than that. In fact, the Charlotte Hornets only came into existence in 1988 which I'm willing to bet still makes them younger than Trew. Of course 1988 still seems like yesterday to an old guy like me so I could be wrong there but not by much.

Anyway because so much of our public treasure and facilities are poured into the maintenance of our professional sports teams, I fully support opening up as many of their related decision-making offices accountable to the public.

No comments: