-->

Thursday, May 06, 2010

Palate cleanser

I am officially a very old person.

New Orleans Saints invite Craig Heyward Jr. to try out at rookie minicamp

The first Saints "jersey", if you can call it that, I ever owned was a plain black long-sleeved shirt we had Craig "Ironhead" Heyward's number 34 imprinted onto it at a T-Shirt shop in the Lake Forest Plaza Mall in New Orleans East. We did this because my father objected to the exorbitant price of officially licensed NFL merchandise. I imagine that at the time an official replica jersey probably would have cost something like 25 bucks maybe. Nevertheless it was sufficiently offensive that I had to settle for our improvised knock-off and a long repetitive speech about Chinese sweatshop labor.

Anyway Heyward is probably still my favorite Saint of all time. And now his children are old enough to play pro-football. And I am getting old, aren't I?

Might still have that shirt in a box somewhere though.

No comments: