-->

Sunday, May 02, 2010

Last Supper

I am going to miss the oysters with a most painful sort of missing.
But some Gulf Coast oyster beds and other seafood harvesting grounds are already awash in oil, according to Casi Callaway, executive director of the Alabama-based environmental group Mobile Baykeeper.

"It's already covering shrimp beds and shrimp grounds in the Gulf," she said. "So it's here and it's now and it's happening."

Callaway said that the oil could ruin oyster beds for up to two decades.


Tonight I made a kind of Oyster Rockefeller cream sauce which we ate over some bow tie pasta I had laying around.

Rockefeller pasta

Since we were commemorating both the death of the oyster and the dawn of oil on the Louisiana coast, I figured this was the ideal style of preparation with which to do that. I've actually experimented with this dish a few times in the past with varying degrees of success but tonight I think it was just about perfect. I was really proud of myself to have executed this as well as I did on such a solemn occasion. The recipe is pretty simple. You just get some onion, celery, parsley, a bulb of fresh fennel, green onion, spinach, garlic, a quart of fresh...... aw fuck it. Nobody's gonna need to use this recipe anytime soon anyway.

Oyster

No comments: