-->

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Discussion question

I was recently privy to (or perhaps tangentially involved in) a discussion which momentarily featured the following statement.

99% of blogging is inane

Now I happen to agree with this statement wholeheartedly but it seems that some participants in this discussion feel that there are individuals who may possibly find it insulting. So I want to be clear about the question up for debate here. It isn't whether the featured statement is true (because it quite obviously is). And it isn't whether or not some people might find it offensive (because I'm beginning to think that this is quite possible). The question is, wouldn't these offended persons then, almost by definition, be spectacular self-awareness-deficient turds? And why does anybody care what they think?

The whole episode inspired me to trot out this "Statement of Audience" I originally copied and signed off on when I read the definitive essay on blogging waay back in 2003. True today as it was then... perhaps moreso.

No comments: