-->

Monday, October 27, 2008

Something else I'll have to finally cram into my schedule next year

Although the price isn't any better, everything I read about what's happened to the Voodoo festival over the past few years indicates that it is already a far more interesting and relevant event than the Jazzfest.

Sure, R.E.M. and Nine Inch Nails may be a little dated for headliners but they're nothing like the sort of embarrassments that show up at Jazzfest these days (I'm looking at you Billy Joel and Santana)

Voodoo is making an effort to highlight the best of the contemporary local scene, include a healthy dose of traditional New Orleans music, and bring together widely disparate musical forms at one event. I'm not exactly what you'd call an "early adapter" so I've been a bit slow to get over my revulsion at what this festival used to be. I think I'm finally ready to make the adjustment, though.

Also: Last week, bullet shared with us this Offbeat interview with Trent Reznor in which he talks a lot about New Orleans.

And here BSJD provides us with a particularly fun fact.
Anyhow, for those of you who care about this sort of thing, any songs that R.E.M. performed off its first two albums are older now than "Moon River" was when R.E.M. played it twenty-four years ago; any songs from "Fables of the Reconstruction" are as old.


Update: In comments, bullet points out that Oyster spotted the Offbeat interview first.

No comments: