-->

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hey it's my three favorite people!

Rose subjected Mitch and Ray to one of his "60 second interviews" wherein he tries to hiply wink at the audience while simultaneously ridiculing and kissing the ass of his subject. Usually these fall apart when the celebrity target gets sick of the joke. This time, in the mayroal candidates, Rose has a captive audeince of forced gregarity. The humor, intentional and otherwise, flows freely.

First of all, I came away from this with a newfound concern for Mitch's psychological well being. Rose asks the two of them "When was the last time you cried?" Mitch says, "Last night" Why? "I don't know. I just have moments of sadness. I don't know where they come from. It just happens now." Now some of this may be explained by the fact that Landrieu has been subjecting himself to Tom Friedman's The World is Flat. That book also caused Matt Taibbi a degree of consternation. What's really weird is that Landrieu's response to "What makes you laugh out loud?" is "Almost everything." I think we may have serious case on our hands here.

Nagin tries to be a good clown but ends up pissing at least me off here.
(Q:) I am so fed up with looting and predators that my inclination at this point, should I encounter anyone on my property who doesn't belong there, is just to shoot him. Would you care to dissuade me of that notion?

Landrieu: Not necessarily. You should ask first why they're there.

Nagin: If you shoot them in the butt, that will be OK. And then we'll take them to Charity Hospital and get 'em fixed up.
Um, Ray, Charity is still closed.. and that's not funny it's scary and infuriating.

Landrieu claims that the first meal he had at a New Orleans restaurant afer Katrina was a shrimp po-boy at Domilise's. Could this actually be true? They took a few months to reopen didn't they? Nagin had a burger at Clover Grill. That sounds plausible.

I also have trouble believing this
Are you taking any prescription medicines?

Landrieu: No.

Nagin: No.


Later there's this
(Q:)If you could consult any three historical figures for advice right now, who would they be?

Landrieu: Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert Kennedy.

Nagin: Gandhi, F.D.R. and President Kennedy.

Because, of course, Nagin has already spoken with MLK and God.

But look, I'm not going to reproduce the whole column for you. Go read it. Yes, I'm giving you permission to go read Rose. I'll leave you only with this. If this were scored as a debate I would have to give it Mitch based solely on his response to the final question.

No comments: