-->

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Congratulations to Mayor Rickey Jackson

Still waiting to learn who will be Mayor of the "Shadow Government" Won't know that until after the goat ceremony.

Some quick thoughts:

  • Turnout sucked. In the 2006 primary there were about 120,000 votes cast. This year I at least thought we'd get something like 105,000 or 110,000. As of this moment, with 90 percent reporting, there have been about 82,000 votes counted. That's pathetic; even for an election held in the middle of Mardi Gras with the Saints in the Superbowl.


  • ABB lives. I badly underestimated the enduring anti-Batt sentiment in District A. I really thought this was the year the voters there went back to being who they were before the flood. Maybe they will some day. But it will have to involve the "next" Jay Batt and not this one.


  • Plagiarism FAIL: Tom Arnold got smacked by Kristen Palmer in District C. I didn't see that coming at all. But, admittedly, Arnold didn't appear to give much of a shit.


  • I.Q. FAIL The new extremely powerful single Assessor's office will go to either Claude Mauberret or Erroll Williams. Not a good day for advocates of unifying the office.


  • I was right about some stuff: Stacy Head beat the shit out of Corey Watson. Watson wasn't really offering anything other than the negative impression Head's personality leaves on people (including on me). But that's a pretty crappy way to run a campaign. He deserves what he got.

    McKenna ran some entertaining commercials but couldn't even come close to unseating Minyard.

    Rickey Jackson made the Hall of Fame.

    I hope I'm right about the Superbowl.


  • I'm so old I remember when Austin Badon was the "next Mayor of New Orleans": Yeah. Not so much now. Badon will have to fight his way onto the Council vs Jon Johnson. That could be anybody's race.


  • Did anybody even vote in the East? Jackie Clarkson squeaked by Cynthia Willard-Lewis for the second At-Large seat. That's pretty amazing.




Anyway I'm tired. Was supposed to go downtown. Probably won't make it. See y'all in the morning.

No comments: