-->

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

More reasons to hate MySpace

I'd like to see them put this sign back up at the Rue but I guess it was a losing battle. Maybe this is the point in my life where I start running into walls of generational misunderstanding (I'll be Jesus's crucifixion age this summer) but I still find that MySpace smacks of... wait for it.... high douchebaggery. I understand that it works well as a communication tool for interest-specific communities in much the same way Livejournal does and that it is conducive to limited media sharing. But the format continues to leave the impression that one is dealing with a glorified interactive personal ad. Or as Oyster once put it in a comment thread here,
..These places are like interconnected vomitoriums of personal minutiae. Just about everything I hate about blogs only intensified with sound and graphics....
It just looks and feels incredibly stupid.

But it gets worse because, you see, MySpace has become the latest frontier for political campaigning via the internets. Now voters have a new place to go to learn that Hillary Clinton has a friend called "The Mangler" or that Bobby Jindal is straight or that David Vitter is.. okay that's not the same guy.. but you see what I mean. The Obama campaign website has an entire networking section built on the MySpace model. Look, if it wasn't douchey, could it be this popular with the pols? Maybe someday soon they'll start to "friend" one another's sites and new governing coalitions will arise based solely on tastes for or against cramming as much crappy discordant animation and sound onto one web page as possible.

In the meantime.. I guess there is some fun to be had with this.

No comments: