-->

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Late Lundi Gras Drunken Ramble (all apologies, folks.. really)

I did it. I wasn’t too enthusiastic about the whole endeavor, but I managed to get dragged into it anyway. I actually stood outside all night and drank more beer than I wanted to while watching the Krewe of Orpheus wend its sloppy disorganized way down the streets this Lundi Gras evening. Granted the hardship involved here was somewhat limited given that the parade route is a one block walk from the house but I’m working on a busy schedule here and the night before Fat Tuesday is no time to get too caught up in the drunken revelry. There will be plenty of time for that tomorrow. I usually spend my Monday evening chopping vegetables in preparation for the creation of Jeffrey’s renowned giant pot of Mardi Gras red beans. I like to have everything cut up and ready to throw in the pot on Fat Tuesday morning so I can get outside as quickly as possible and begin scouring the neighborhood for Indians before Zulu shows up. Last year, the threat of rain caused Zulu to uncharacteristically roll at its official 8:30 am start time which severely stressed my schedule. Hopefully the weather will be less intimidating tomorrow. The threat of rain has been with us through much of the parade season this year. Luckily, only the Krewe of Ancient Druids parade was seriously affected by the weather.
In one sense, I am grateful to Dad and to Daisy for pulling me from my onion celery and bell pepper and dragging me out to see Proteus and Orpheus this evening because it puts me in position to complete a rare Mardi Gras sweep tomorrow. Ordinarily, even the most stalwart Carnival geek will skip at least one parade in a season. So far, however, if it rolled in Orleans Parish this year, I saw at least part of it.

A few quick comments about the hazy weekend:

Saturday: Iris and Tucks rolled Uptown in the morning. This was the most beautiful day of the season weather wise; lots of sun not too cool or warm. Daisy got to wear her pirate dress and big purple wig. Some guy in the crowd brought a megaphone which he used to provide some extemporaneous pro bono parade commentary as well as beg each marching band to play that Usher/Ludacris song.. you know the one. He was unsuccessful in his solicitation. I finally got to try the crawfish bread at Fortissimo. Definitely worth the five bucks. That evening, while Daisy napped, I hopped on the bicycle and checked out as much as I could stand of Endymion.. which is to say not much. The crowd is too big. There are too many territorial, ladder mounted white people. And, for the most part, you can’t see the freaking parade. My bike ride took me from uptown to Canal street and then up the entire length of Endymion’s route to Orleans Ave and City Park. Unable to find a decent place to just chill and enjoy the parade, I went back home.
Also worth noting: Later this evening, Daisy, who is not known for such exploits, managed to drink Consuela under the table in what has to be the greatest upset in the history of sport.

Sunday: Very much like Saturday only with less sun. Okeanos doesn’t throw much. Thoth is often overlooked due to its Sunday morning time slot but it is one of my favorites. The Krewe of Mid City paraded Uptown again. Someone should do something about that. Much was made of the Superbowl vs Bacchus dilemma but this was no contest for us. I caught some football shaped beads. Big Fun.

Visual evidence: Is available here from Daisy who is finally back to blogging more than just book reviews. Daisy’s blog is a good read for all of you who come to this site for amusing tales of library related hi-jinks and instead find yourselves sifting through my bullshit Superbowl predictions and political rants and various other manifestations of lameitude. As a bonus feature, Daisy’s crappy camera actually managed to photographically represent our drunken haze.. even if it did make me look a little chunky.

And so now it’s all over but the shouting.. which will start promptly at 7 am or so tomorrow when I crawl my sorry ass out of bed. Happy Mardi Gras!!

No comments: