-->

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

This, of course, would never happen to me...

...partly because I rarely have more than $20.00 in cash on me (or available to me) at any time, but mostly because I'm not an Arab trying to drive through Mississippi. And what the hell is this about?
One difference could be a money-laundering statute passed by the Mississippi Legislature in 1998. Under the law, attorneys said, police agencies can seize cash -- even if no illegal substances are found -- as long as they suspect the money was generated through unlawful activity such as drug trafficking.

Critics said local law enforcement agencies have a vested interest in seizing as much cash as they can, because under Mississippi law they can use it to buy squad cars and other equipment if the property owner doesn't attempt to reclaim it within 30 days.
Sounds like the ChristianExodus folks are pretty close to getting what they want here.
In the meantime, they won't be taking any more trips to Jackson.

"I'll never drive through Mississippi again," Quattom said. "That is another country there -- that is not the United States.

No comments: