-->

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Crackheads love the GBV

My poor Tercel has been through an awful lot this week. First, the battery died leaving me to bum rides from Daisy until I could a waste an off day dealing with it. When I say I am bumming rides from Daisy what I mean is I am chauffeuring her around town in her car while she rides in the back seat and reads Cryptonomicon and occasionally says something about what her dog did that day. You may insert your own "Driving Miss Daisy" joke here if you are that kind of person. My career as a personal attendant came to an end on Friday when I got my car back on line.
So last night, my car's second back on duty, one of our neighborhood's suppliers of local character provided the vehicle with some special modifications mostly to the driver's side door handle. Do I feel violated? Yeah a little but really I'm more perplexed than anything. What kind of a crackhead scans a block on which he finds several newish, large autos containing various easily portable electronic devices and says to himself, "Ooh a Toyota Tercel! There's bound to be something good in there!"
On the bright side, I can't help but feel a little lucky. The guy did have the courtesy to break the handle instead of the glass. Plus, I had gotten into the habit of keeping my checkbook in the glove compartment, a habit which I serendipitously strayed from last night. Furthermore, I was extremely relieved to find the members of Plastic Jesus (an imaginary glam band comprised of little toy animals who "ride on the dashboard of my car") completely undisturbed.
Crackhead's total take:
  • Approximately $6.00 in ashtray change
  • One semi-broken CD player which only works if you squeeze it really tight and scotch tape it closed before playing.
  • One copy of Earthquake Glue by Guided By Voices. Pretty good record though not really their best. I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

No comments: