-->

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Question

Obama
In December, I agreed to extend the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans because it was the only way I could prevent a tax hike on middle-class Americans. But we cannot afford $1 trillion worth of tax cuts for every millionaire and billionaire in our society. And I refuse to renew them again.


My that certainly is a bold... wait a minute, aren't the Bush tax cuts already renewed through the remainder of Obama's term?

Update: The answer is they will be back up for debate in the thick of the next election. Like Digby, I am highly skeptical of this promise.
If Obama keeps his word this time and refuses to extend the Bush tax cuts and they are able to get Republicans and conservative Democrats to sign on to real tax hikes in an election year, I will be stunned and gratified. I can guarantee you that Norquist and the boyz are going to hang it around politicians' neck --- his entire reason for being will be called into question. So it's a big deal --- indeed, it's an act of hara kiri for quite a few Republicans. Maybe they're just that patriotic, who knows?

No comments: