-->

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Just when I was ready to be the voice of moderation..

..and suggest that maybe we're going a little overboard with this "the-whole-city-of-Chicago-hates-us-and-wishes-we-would-all-drown" thing, it turns out the atmosphere at the Bears game was even more poisonous than I had previously imagined possible.

Yesterday, when I linked to Lolis's piece on American antipathy towards New Orleans, I did so for the same reason I always jump on this subject; I dearly wish it not to be true. But when I see stuff like this, I am at a loss. I can't add anything to what da po'boy says except simply reassert that there is something really wrong here. These "taunts" unlike Reggie Bush's "classless" taunting of Brian Urlacher, had nothing to do with football. They were about us and our tragedy. They were about.. as Lolis puts it.. America's anger at us for surviving. And now, we see, they were also about race. This is ugly beyond my capacity to describe it. The sun came out today for the first time in over a week.. but I feel cold this morning.

Update: Just in case anyone wishes to dismiss this behavior as "playoff football enthusiasm" here's a view from Philly on how the visiting fans are treated in New Orleans.

No comments: