-->

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Hot!

I mean like, on the real! Meanwhile, our a/c struggles continue. When we first visited with the Slumlord's Lackey regarding this issue, Lackey's solution was a rudimentary instruction to us regarding the operation of the thermostat. We usually leave it set between 70 and 75 during the day. Lackey's theory was that this was not a low enough setting to induce cooling. Having found this explanation rather strange, I pointed out that the actual temperature in the room was well above 80 and that, yes, I understood how a thermostat works. Lackey cut me off with a curt, "I'm the technician here!" Having received the implication that the only alternative at this point would involve fisticuffs, I decided to try his suggestion. We set the thermostat to 65.

A week later, the place had not begun to cool. The only new development was that the coils were beginning to ice up. Lackey agreed to summon an a/c professional who managed to relieve us of the icing.... but not the hot.

So this morning, after a particularly intolerable night's sleep, I summoned the energy to phone Slumlord once again. Before I left for work, I made sure the thermostat was set to 65 in order to ward off any complaints. (We still usually keep it at 70.) A moment ago, I called Consuella at home to see if anything had been done. She reports that she was out when Lackey came by to check on things, but he did leave us a note. It says:

"Unit needs to be kept at 70 for 24 hours. If still not cooling call Lackey."

WTF!

No comments: