-->

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Molly Ivins on Dean

I know, he's even less of a liberal than Bill Clinton was, but I don't think Dean is a moderate centrist. I think he's a fighting centrist. And folks, I think we have got ourselves a winner here.

I like the "fighting centrist" tag but I'm less confident in the "winner" thing. Dean is nowhere near as smooth as Clinton. He doesn't always handle tough questions gracefully, he tends to waffle on issues far more clumsily than Clinton ever did, and his TV persona often reminds me of Bob Dole. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. Dean's presence has made the Democratic primary worth watching. Without him, I don't think the other candidates would have been able to challenge Bush as boldly as they have this early. Clearly someone had to take the fight to Bush in 2004 and I hope Dean is up to it. I do have my doubts though.

Read Molly's column

No comments: