-->

Tuesday, December 02, 2003

At Least It Wasn't John Goodman

This has apparently been settled for a while now but it's news to me today. Will Ferrell as Ignatius Riley. I know this whole project is destined for disaster regardless but for what it's worth, I think Ferrell has the ability to handle the cartoonish boisterousness (word?) of the role, but I don't know if he'll get the necessary degree of pathetic sadness. Filming begins this spring. Two questions: 1) Does anyone have a better candidate for this role? 2)Should they even be making this movie?

Update: I was really really doubtful about this film until I read this in an article about the director David Gordon Greene.

Grasping for a way to break through to this obviously talented but misguided child, a teacher told him he was in a rut and gave him "Dunces" and said: "Here's a prestigious book that has your sensibility." He was 15. He loved it. He has read it over and over, picking it up and doing 50 pages from the middle at random. (Only Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude" has also touched him this way.)

These are two of my all time favorite books. The guy can't be all that bad.

No comments: