-->

Friday, August 31, 2007

Yes I am trying to break the mood here

I would have done it there but Leigh has, understandably, closed her comments for this post in which she expresses a bemusement similar to what I experienced reading Ashley's commenters on Tuesday. However, before getting too upset, I think it's important to take a step back and remind oneself just how stupid and irrelevant these little internet forums actually are.

This is something I jokingly pointed out yesterday in referencing my usually well-informed mother's lack of familiarity with Daily Kos. It also calls to mind something RT2 keynote speaker Dave Zirin said in this column published in the Houston Chronicle.
In most cities, bloggers practice a peculiar virtual cannibalism, tearing each other apart for sport. But at Rising Tide, among people young and old, black and white, I saw my first glimpse of what can be termed blogger solidarity. It stemmed, as one told me, from "the necessity of coming together after Katrina."
In other words, most people see your little internets as toys and treat them as such. Try not to take them too seriously.

Other than that, I agree with everything Leigh says except the part where she refers to Ashley as a "sane voice". I'm not so sure I can sign on with that.

No comments: