-->

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Zion is already a disaster/hero

I have to admit I do not understand the world of Pelicans media very well.  The circle of local reporters and bloggers who follow the team tend toward a Benson boosterism of such magnitude that one can never fully trust the consensus there.  Maybe that isn't always true but it is usually at the back of my mind when I'm sifting through takes.  On the other hand, national sports media seem to have an anti-New Orleans agenda at work. I think this is probably just the usual large market bias but, for whatever reason, it's much more pronounced on the NBA beat than it is with the NFL. 

Anyway neither side strikes me as particularly reliable. Gayle is either an evil madwoman or the franchise's savior.  Zion Williamson is either under a moral obligation to reject the draft altogether and go to New York or he is extremely "excited" to "accept the things he cannot change" even though phrasing it that way definitely makes it sound like a burden.   Who knows what to believe?  

My guess is Zion will be the greatest thing to happen to the Pelicans since Anthony Davis was the greatest thing to happen to the Pelicans since Chris Paul was that too.  Meanwhile Fletcher Mackel can tell us about 500 different ways the Pels can trade him.  Until they finally do. 

No comments: