-->

Thursday, April 26, 2012

I would like my Kickstarter money now, please

Inspired by this "awareness raising" house razing Marigny Ball Pit project, I've decided to apply for my own grant. Behold the Uptown Brick Pit


Bricked up

The best thing about it is the work is already done. The hole is already in place since 2010. It's already full of bricks and other crap.  Much like the Marigny Ball Pit, this project also "raises awareness" of blight or potholes or something.

About that awkward moment: It came toward the end of our conversation when I asked if there was a larger point to building a ball pit in a blighted house. "Raising awareness," he said.
Of what? "Blight."

And, see, I told him, that's the problem, that's what sometimes sets people's teeth on edge — you don't think people in New Orleans are aware of blight, and have been aware of blight long before you came here?

He said he saw the point, and added that he was constructing his ball pit "for the community," and that he welcomed suggestions or drop-bys from anyone who wanted to help or contribute ideas. So there's your invitation.

Note that the Uptown Brick Pit is also "for the community"  At one point, I even turned it into a fun game for people trying to toss litter into it from passing cars.


 Sinkhole target game

All I need now is my grant money.

No comments: