-->

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"It's about everybody having they own spotlight"

Sorry about the superfluous LeBron post but I thought you should know that you really should be reading this Taibbi post. I like days when the most insightful thing I read on the internet is about sports. And also I like it when better writers say stuff I wish I had said. For example, last week when I wrote
So James is a media-whoring douchebag on top of being a selfish bore about to break the hearts of a long-suffering fan base. It's hard to blame him, though. After all we live in a time where everyone is more or less expected to be a self-congratulatory brat in one way or another. Don't believe me? Go read your Twitter stream for a few hours and come back and tell me our common tongue isn't at least 75% narcissistic bullcrap. It's one of the reasons we confuse activism with modeling.


What I wish I had written was

By any measure it was a landmark moment in the history of human self-involvement, eclipsing previous peaks in the narcissism Himalayas (Nero's impromptu fiddle concert as Rome burned, the career of the prophet Mohammed, Kim Jong Il publishing "The Popularity of Kim Jong Il") mainly because it was a collective effort. You can understand the citizens of Tsaritsyn cheering the decision to rename their city; if they didn't like "Stalingrad," they were getting lined up and shot.


Anyway.. much more. Go read.

No comments: