-->

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

I've officially become too snarky

So Daisy and I are piloting the circ desk this morning when a frazzled man in what looks like a lucky dog vendor's attire comes panting in from the harsh mildness of the day. He is having a tremendously difficult time catching his breath and he reeks of gasoline. And I am ok with this because I am thankful not to have been introduced to his actual smell. After a good minute and a half of hardcore breathing, stinking and leaning on the desk he collects the necessary breath to push out a "Do you have any tax forms?" I point to the giant display of federal tax forms five feet away, he thanks me a little too profusely, collects what he needs, and stumbles off. The gasoline smell lingers quite a bit longer however prompting me to ask Daisy if she thinks the man is liable to attempt some sort of Buddhist monk protest against the confiscatory power of the government wherein he sets himself ablaze while defiantly clutching his 1040 EZ. Daisy reasons that if the man were planning such an event he would have probably executed it right there in the library. Is it wrong then that, when I am confronted with the horror of a man lighting himself on fire in front of me, my immediate thought is wow that would probably smell worse than the gasoline?

No comments: