-->

Friday, September 28, 2012

Case of the missing sic (pun intended, I guess)

This is an article noting that the Stolthaven chemical storage facility in Braithwaite has been fined a second time by DEQ for failing to take adequate precautions against the release of hazardous materials into state waters during Hurricane Isaac.

I expect we'll be hearing more about Stolthaven's negligence in the near future. But, in the meantime, I noticed these typos in the article where it quotes a letter from Stolthaven management.
"Efforts are currently underway to recover material retained onsite," the letter said. "It is unknown at this time whether, or in what cuantities, the materials listed above in Attachment 2 remain in teh stormwater contained within each tank farm containment area."
Usually that's no big deal to me but, this being the final full week of the Times-Picayune as we knew it, I couldn't help but wonder if the errors were Stolthaven's or the T-P's. Obviously somebody could benefit from more robust editing, in either case.

I did find one clue when I enquired (sic) at the Stolthaven website.

Stolthaven New Orleans - Hurricane Isaac
For media enquiries concerning
Stolthaven New Orleans please
contact Darrell Wilson,

Update: And now I'm told that "enquiries" is (sort of) acceptable but favored in the British spelling. "Teh", on the other hand, is relegated strictly to LOL Catz.

No comments: