-->

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Asphyxiated Circle

I was downtown this morning for a mandatory long term disability insurance consultation. I thought it was pretty clever of them to schedule it during a city-wide public health hazard.
NEW ORLEANS -- Thick smoke continued blanketing parts of the metro area, as a massive marsh fire kept burning in eastern New Orleans.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu said that the fire is now over twice the size of City Park's 1,300 acres. Landrieu made the comment after finishing a morning flyover of the fire Tuesday.
City Park is pretty big. But if Nagin had done this flyover he would have told us the plume was bigger than the Gulf of Mexico. Not that it would have made any difference. I still had to go to this insurance thing anyway. The good news is, I was pretty sure the meter maids weren't out so I didn't bother paying to park. Also the heavy smoke masked the usual urine stench I'm accustomed to when passing by the dumpsters on Girod Street. Oh and I snapped a few pictures of the nastiness.

City Hall
City Hall Smoke

Tulane and Elk Place
Elk Place

Lee Circle
Lee Circle smoke


No comments: