-->

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I pay for a lot of stuff in cash

Also I pay for most of my bills by check. Maybe I'm an old man but I'm not comfortable granting some utility or telecom permission to just go into my bank account and withdraw money without first going through the (yes, I know) meaningless ritual of receiving a document with my signature.

Sometimes library patrons complain that they can't pay their seventy five cent library fines with credit cards. What they don't realize is that the costs to the library in the way of card processing fees would be a significant drag on the budget. Remember, library fines aren't a profit-generating revenue stream in the first place, nor are they meant to be.

On the other hand, restaurants are actively trying to collect money from customers. I know their profit margins can be slim but making it less than perfectly convenient for people to hand over their money seems like a bad strategy. But several places persist in it nonetheless. At Blackened Out, Peter and Rene have a fun back and forth on the subject of cash only restaurants here. As someone who pays for a lot of stuff in cash, I'd like to have some sympathy for Peter's side, but I can't see my way there. If we were arguing about the restaurants going completely "cashless" I'd have a different opinion.

No comments: