-->

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Still a douchebag

Open letter to Chris Rose


I started laying off of Chris Rose because everything I started to write about him just ended up looking like the above snip from this month's Levee

I read his first Gambit column and it sort of pissed me off but in a sad way... no not in a sorrowful man of letters way... more in a bored way. When I was still bothering with it I once wrote
I still can't decide if Rose is just that creepy uncle who always wants to smoke pot with your friends or if he's more like that one frat boy who feels entitled to his smug assholery due to the fact that he may actually have read a book once.
As you can see, nothing has really changed.

The thing that always did and still does really bug me about Rose is that he's one of those people who acts as if everything that happens is only important because it's happening to him. And worse, he's not above turning the bad things that happen to him (and tangentially, in his mind, to other people) into an industry of sorts. So it's as self-absorbed as it is opportunistic as it is insensitive. But I had pretty much decided we'd covered all of that. And then Gambit had to go and give him another big platform....

Update: Also giving Rose a platform, WVUE. The point of this piece: Scott Fujita's free agency really all about Chris Rose somehow.

And Fujita delivered, big time, on and off the field. Charities and tackles; a great combination. A winning combination. And, irony or ironies, on the day he signed with Cleveland, the Times-Picayune wrote a feature about him that basically said he’s the greatest guy ever.

Well, bully for Cleveland.

Funny, speaking of the Times-Picayune: At the end of 2009, I myself became a free agent. In 25 years at the company, I never once received a merit raise. And they said I could stick around if I wanted to, but they were encouraging old and expensive goats like me to head out to pasture.

Nothing personal, they assured me. Strictly business.

No comments: